Saturday, May 28, 2016

Work in Progress at the Studios at MASS MoCA

I started making large versions from "No man's land" series at the Studios at MASS MoCA. The original drawing size is 7 1/2" x 7 1/2", and the enlarged version is 20"x 20". Prior to my residency, my friend Gregg shipped two of the 20"x 20" panels for me, encouraging me to go bigger. He gave me homework and I was ready to start as soon as I got to the Studios at MASS MoCA.

Gregg wrote;
"Make them big and blast them in to the world! In the time from now until you get the panels, think about various methods and materials to assist in enlargement, how to approach a larger scale with your body, what tools and how to use them, best glue to laminate the paper to wood or whatever, what music to play as you dance your work into being, should you seal all wood (front, back, sides) before starting, what clothes would best be worn to facilitate creation, how much fun and pleasure you will derive from doing this work." 

This advice along with a surprised gift from Gregg made me dance in the studio.

Here are the beginning stage. The large version is done in mineral pigment. 



And still work in progress, but here's the big brother and little brother. 


No comments:

Post a Comment