Sunday, April 25, 2021

Sharing my stories on anti-Asian racism


My history not my memory
Xerox transfer on Japaense paper
10'x 15',  1999

  

 

I recently wrote a post for Harvard Fine Arts Library's social media and post about my experiences with anti-Asian racism.

“In the early nineties when I was a college student in a suburb outside Boston, my car was vandalized on the campus parking lot at night. All the windows were smashed, every single wire and tube in the front was cut and dismantled, and there was a message scratched on the side of the car, “KKK was here.” My registration card, which I kept in the glove compartment, was left on the passenger seat, as if to warn me that whoever did this knew who I was and where I lived. The campus police officer to whom I reported the incident, who was in the dominant group, refused to file it as a hate crime. Despite my pleading and the obvious evidence, the incident was only filed as vandalism. I was not offered any kind of emotional support from the college, and I lived in fear for my safety for many months... Read more.


 
My history not my memory, detail


Perpetual Self Discipline
Xerox transfer on Japanese paper, cast glass of dumbbells, video
size variable, 1996 - 1997


No comments:

Post a Comment