Thursday, January 12, 2012

BLUE: Installation in progress – 1: Division Switch

My solo exhibit, BLUE, opened today at the Women’s Studies Research Center Gallery at Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts. It’ll be up through March 2. This exhibit includes my recent drawings and the site-specific installation. I have been working on the site-specific installation in the gallery since Christmas, and I finished everything a couple of days before the show opened.

“Division Switch” incorporates overlay maps from the United States Army Air Defense School in the late 50s, which I had been working on with mineral pigment, stamps and artist tapes. I had watched the documentary about water called “Blue Gold: World Water Wars.” (I highly recommend this documentary.) That was all I needed for an excuse to use these overlay maps from the Army Air Defense School in the context of water for this exhibit. That was my starting point for this installation anyway. On these overlay maps, I see some irony and even humor in the added images and there are some word plays, such as “division switch position” text next to the stamped images of women.

I wanted to connect these maps with dots and tiny lines, and create another sort of map that suggests a number of different things such as waterways, hiking trails, roads, defense lines, and so on. Cutting the artist tape into tiny strips and making tiny dots with Elmer’s poster tack proved to be a simple but methodological process which had soothing effects after a while. There, I worked intuitively, slowly making connections line by line, and dot by dot.

Creating dots with Elmer's poster tack - one by one


Making connections line by line


This was Day 4 - slowly making my way


Overlay maps from the United States Army Air Defense School
in the 1950s on the wall


Snake river or switchback road?


She is the Target Area C on Call



Day 5 - close to be done

No comments:

Post a Comment