Saturday, January 17, 2015

Meet my new typewriter, Royal Aristocrat

I had a great time at Cambridge Typewriter today. I’ve been meaning to drop off my old Royal typewriter for service, and I finally did it today. I also needed a new ribbon. I knew this shop would be a dangerous place for me. Of course, it proved to be a far more dangerous store than any jewelry stores or shoe stores for me. I dropped off my old one and walked out with a "new" old Royal. Meet my new beautiful portable typewriter, Royal Aristocrat here.


My new typewriter, Royal Aristocrat


Tom, the owner, was so generous and he let me type on several different typewriters. Oh, so many beauties. He kept bringing me one after another. I had specific ideas for what I wanted to use and what kind of papers and size, and so on, so I brought my papers. I decided that I would need a couple of more typewriters for my upcoming solo show in the fall. And I wanted a good working typewriter for my new project.

Underwood typewriter - another beautiful typewriter
I tried Royal Quiet DeLuxe, Royal Aristocrat, Underwood, Adler, Olympia, and some other models. Like I said, so many beautiful ones. I felt in love with Underwood, but in the end, I chose this one, because I felt like my fingers were gliding when typing, and felt so smooth. I also liked slightly larger typeface. It’s perfect.

I walked out with this beautiful typewriter in a case, feeling really happy. (I tried not to look for other beauties, but there was one red Royal which had just came in, and Tom hadn’t had a chance to service yet….. I wonder if it’ll be still there when I go back to the store next weekend to pick up my old one…..)

I don’t own an iPhone, any other type of smart phone, iPad or even GPS. But I spent a couple of hundred dollars easily on this Royal Aristocrat. As I said, a typewriter shop is a dangerous place for me.

I’m really excited about my new portable typewriter. I typed some when I got home. The type looks great, and I love the feel. I'm just in love.


… and so many other interesting typewriters! 


I wonder if this one will be there when I go back to the store?
Do I have a chance to see this one again? 


Indeed, this one is a special one. I love the orange!


Check out Tom's blog, Life in a Typewriter Shop. You can read about his busy typewriter shop and learn more about many beautiful old typewriters.


No comments:

Post a Comment