Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Snow day in the studio

Blizzard outside. Snow day in the studio - staining Japanese papers with tea and coffee, painting and typing.

I'm being more playful with staining action, but I can't help thinking about the flood I had about a year ago when I see the sheets of wet papers on the floor. I like the edges of the stain on the paper. I see lots of ripples and terrains. 

I started applying mineral pigment on the sheets when they're dry. Sometimes I drip or splash the pigment. 

Being playful. 

Typing the same question helps me to meditate on the meaning, thinking about what it means to have a good relationship with water. And clearly, flood is not one of those good relationships. And polluting and contaminating water is an abusive relationship. 

Outside I see lots of snow. And I think about the glaciers, and think about all the snow up on the mountains. And I think about the arrival of spring though it does seem far away right now, but it will come eventually - snow melting, and water running through the streams from mountains. 







No comments:

Post a Comment