Friday, January 30, 2015

What is your relationship with water? Part III




Several people purchased these sheets at the opening for Weathering Art exhibition. I was really excited.

This was one of the questions that I wanted to ask people in the questionnaire and gather their responses. When I told my friend, Gregg about my idea, he had another thought and told me this;

“The questions you poised in your form might be good for you to ask yourself as a precursor to forming the work. Come up with 20 more questions about water. Is water alive? Why is it clear and blue? How do we learn to swim? Why is there so much water? Etc.”

He also said, “If you are going to challenge the viewer, might as well go ahead and challenge yourself too. Take a risk, go out on a limb. Jump in feet first. Action Goat!” (I am a goat, born in the year of sheep, but he calls me goat.)

So, I took his advice literally first, and started typing this simple question to ask myself as a starting point. Then, I found a well of water that was flowing at the bottom of it if there was such a thing in the question.

I realized that this is not a kind of question that I would find an answer or two and quickly move on, nor it’s something that I would just get my feet wet, hop out and shaking it off, and done. No, I would have to put myself deep in that well. (But don’t sink!) And I have to wait and see what I would find in there.

These typed sheets are for sale for fundraising.
At the Weathering Art opening.
It is such a simple question, indeed.

I am a bit nervous about showing this work in public at such an early stage. 

Just as what Gregg said, “Jump in feet first.”  So I do, and hopefully I'll slowly soak my body in this simple question and see what happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment