Saturday, January 24, 2015

What is your relationship with water? Part I


I type this same question on rice papers that were soaked and stained in tea/coffee and water. I type this phrase over and over to meditate on the question. It is an ongoing activity that I have just begun last month.

I use a vintage manual typewriter. I like typing on a manual typewriter, but I also like it because it slows me down a bit to ponder what I’m typing. It gives you a whole different space in your mind. To me, it becomes meditation on the question.

The first answer I came up was simply, "We need water." And I realized that we're in a dependency relationship with water, yet we're a very abusive partner. Instead of respecting and protecting, we keep abusing water, the most vital and essential source for our own survival. Without water, we simply perish after three to five days the most. I remember the quote from W.H. Auden. "Thousands have lived without love, not one without water."

See work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment